Friday, June 1, 2012

We Finally Arrived at KGCC by Lee

Hello All,
I didn't think I was going to have the energy to blog tonight, but there's nothing like a warm welcome, good food, air conditioning, and an ice cold diet Pepsi to perk you up.

Today Sandy and I packed up and checked out of the Lan Lan 2 Hotel in HCMC and headed to Rach Gia where we will be working with our sister college, Kien Giang Community College (KGCC). The college administrators were so nice to send a van to pick us up. It was a long drive, about six hours.

 Being a passenger in a van is just about as exciting as crossing the street in Vietnam--which is more excitement than I really need! The traffic is very heavy in Vietnam and everyone drives at whatever pace suits them. There are few signs, and fewer traffic lights. Drivers just keep tooting their horns and forging ahead. I felt my heart in my throat several times as we came within inches of hitting a motor bike.

The motorbike seems to be the main mode of transportation. Women in dresses and high heels ride them, men in suits too. Whole families together with up to four people piled onto the seats. I'm not sure if there are age requirements or rules about riding on a motor bike here. I have seen everyone from infants to quite elderly folks enjoying a ride.

As we rode along we eventually got hungry and thirsty and stopped for a bite of lunch. Sandy and I both enjoyed some fried chicken, rice and vegetables. One not so wonderful thing about our lunch stop was that I had to use a "squat toilet" for the first time. I can't say that I enjoyed the experience--although it was novel! I had to get one leg completely out of my pants to make it work. If anyone has a better system, I'm open to suggestions. I guess I shouldn't feel too concerned about this affront to my dignity. There are a lot of people who do business this way everyday.

While we were still stopped for lunch we stopped at a little market and our friend and translator bought us some prickly looking fruit to try that sort of looks like chestnuts. When you peel them they are soft, translucent and white inside. They sort of taste like a grape with a good size pit in the middle.

Our friend also bought us these funny looking things that resembled a present. They were square, wrapped in green leaves and tied with a purple bow. I was bummed to discover that they contained pork, so I couldn't give them a try.

As we finished up our drive it was amazing how the landscape changed from moment to moment. One minute everything would be very urban with high traffic and many homes and family businesses crowded together. In the next moment you would see rice paddies and a water buffalo or two. There were homes on stilts right in the river and homes with thin thatch looking roofs. Many homes appeared to be made out of scrap metal. All the buildings tend to be very narrow. Poverty and wealth seemed a bit intertwined. There might me miles of homes made out of scraps with a random beautiful home or two mixed in here and there.

One thing that struck me as unusual is that all the family businesses seemed to be selling the exact same things--and almost every family appears to have a business in the front of their home. They sold bottled water, chips, bowls of rice, and pho "soup". Being the same seems to be valued in Vietnam. At the war remnants museum all the children's drawings about hope and peace had the same 5 or 6 primary colors and all had a vague similarity. The women tend to wear their hair about the same length, straight, and parted slightly off to the side. Everywhere you go, employees tend to be in a uniform. No one really stands out. I keep thinking that a little diversity might be good for the economy and good for the soul to.

Finally we arrived at KGCC after a day of riding in the college van. As we pulled into the college grounds we were greeted with such warmth and big smiles that I felt like I was being welcomed home by family. The faculty and administrators brought us right into the faculty lunch room where the table was all set and the food was already simmering away. I pulled out my cheater chopsticks, which were a big hit! Dinner was wonderful and then we learned that it was children's day in Vietnam so we attended the celebration. Now it is time for rest after a very full day, Goodnight All, Lee


3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! How are you communicating without a cell phone? Sounds like muggy weather; do they have pesty bugs there?
    Glad you are getting R&R...crazy that work has been so busy lately that you had to go to Vietnam for a rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Susan and Kathy,
    thank you both for replying. Life was a bit hectic during my travels and I just realized that some folks did make comments.

    While I was in Vietnam I communicated with my family and friends through email and by blogging. This was a bit hard and I did wish I could use my cell phone.

    I did get pretty homesick--as I'm sure you both knew I would. I missed my crowded bed with dog folk and people all wrestling for a little space and a corner of the blanket.

    Didn't really see too many pesty bugs, but I met a few itty bitty reptiles that looked like lizards.

    Though I got plenty of rest in Vietnam, the long flight home was pretty grueling and I was sick for much of it. I began perking up and feeling better as soon as our plane entered US air space.

    Was only home a few days and headed off to Juneau and Chicago. Had a wonderful vacation and visit with my sister. Thankfully, Larry was with me for that trip and we had lots of opportunity to reconnect.

    We even went zip lining through the trees in the mountains of Alaska. I completed nine zip lines, two rope bridges, and then had to rappel down off the platform at the end. I have the pictures to prove it!

    At the end of the zip line adventure they give you a medal on a ribbon to go around your neck. It looks like an Olympic medal. I was very proud of that medal and Larry thought I was never going to take it off! Good night, Lee

    ReplyDelete