Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Lovely Day, by Lee

Yesterday was a very relaxed and pleasant day. It began by meeting a couple new friends from KGCC for breakfast. Today breakfast was a fried egg, some roast beef, rice with veggies, a few fries, and some mixed vegetables. It was very good. Then it was off to the ATM to try and get some more Vietnamese dong followed by shopping.

We shopped at several jewelry stores and saw many beautiful, but expensive pieces of jewelry. It was very difficult, but I used great restraint at the jewelry stores. Larry will be so relieved.

After several jewelry stores it was time for lunch. My dietary restrictions can be a bit tough here in Vietnam. I am so sorry to be a bother, but everyone is very patient and kind about it. Lunch was a couple fried eggs, rice, veggies, and pho (soup). As always, everything was cooked just right and delicious. We ate lunch a bit late so I think we were cutting in to the owners nap time. He was asleep in his hammock before we left the restaurant.

Hammocks are very popular here in Vietnam. I had noticed that on the road between HCMC and KGCC there are many places with between 10 and 30 hammocks all set up together under some type   of shanty roof. When I asked about these hammocks we were told they are for tired people who have been working hard or driving a long time. They can pay a fee and come in and take a nap. Even better than a rest stop on the thruway!! I bet they can get a bowl of pho too!

After our daily nap I had my first "hot pot" meal. It's like a little soup pot on a stand with a good size flame burning underneath to keep it hot. It comes with a mountain of fresh herbs and greens to throw in. It was a very unique and pleasurable dining experience for me. Sandy and I dined with two teachers from KGCC who were excellent company. They were so kind and courteous and wanted to make sure we had a lovely evening. They took us to the night market and also helped me find a new alarm clock, because mine hasn't been working well. Then it was off to the coffee bar to enjoy fruit smoothies and watch the motor bikes go by. It was a terrific day!

I feel more like I'm on vacation than a professional development trip, though I am learning a lot about how different lifestyles can be---and yet there are many similarities... I had written in an earlier post that the Vietnamese seem to enjoy being alike. While I was shopping for my sisters I was looking to get something "the same" for all of them. It makes us feel closer when we all have the same piece of jewelry...then the light bulb went on! There is value in diversity and value in unity as well...  Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment