Friday, June 1, 2012

Random thoughts from Vietnam, by Lee

I can't believe how well rested I am!! Sometimes I am back at the hotel by 7 or 8 PM and there isn't much to do other than email, blog, and go to bed.. I can't sleep the whole night through-- so sometimes I get up during the night and check email or read, but I usually do fall back to sleep. The Vietnamese are big nappers too. Everyday after lunch we nap for an hour or two during the hottest part of the day. Just like a siesta!  I can hardly believe what a difference all this rest makes in how I feel! I was supposed to get up at 0730 this morning, but by 0615 I just couldn't lay around anymore and got up. That is truly weird for me!

I saw my first hotel reptile last night. He was a little bitty thing and was racing down the hall at the hotel. Much too fast for me to get a picture of him. There was a moment when I almost screeched and looked for a chair to jump on, but then I got over it and found him kinda cute and interesting.

When we arrived at the college yesterday it was children's day in Vietnam. They were having a little party for all the faculty members children and invited Sandy and I to attend and have our picture taken with the children.Later on when we were at the market searching for cold sodas and a few necessary items, a little girl from the party was there and ran up to me and tugged on my shirt.  It was so nice, like running into an old friend. We couldn't do much more than smile at each other, but it was lovely. I guess I made a little friend!

Have a great day everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. I had an experience like yours when I visited my wife's family in the countryside of the Philippines. It's very hot there with no AC so we tended to nap in the middle of the day and we usually went to bed early too. We were all up usually by about 5:30-6am which, for me, was very unusual since I'm more of a night person.
    Thanks for posting,
    Kier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kier, sorry I never replied before. Thank you for reading the blog. It was nice knowing that someone out there in cyberspace was reasding and could relate to my experiences in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete