Wednesday, May 30, 2012

First Full Day Behind Us! (Lee)

Hi All,
Sandy and I had a wonderful first day! She is showing me all the wonderful sights and is watching over me like a very protective momma. You should all google crossing the street in Vietnam or in Ho Chi Min City and look for video of this experience. Then you will know why I need a protective momma!

On our first day we met for breakfast bright and early at 0730. Breakfast is included with our hotel room. You can get a wide range of "breakfast items". I had a little bit of pankake and these cute little teeny weeny omeletts along with a mini "hombuger" complete with lettuce, tomato and what I thought was ketchup. I don't know what the red stuff actually was, but it wasn't ketchup--delicious though, sort of sweet. I also tried a batter dipped, deep fried banana that was out of this world!

Next we ventured out into the city and met with Rad Kivette from the Vina Capital Foundation. His group is working to improve health care access and outcomes for poor children in Vietnam. He was very knowledgeable and just a wonderful resource regarding health care in Vietnam. It is also nice that he is from North Carolina originally, so we could relax and enjoy communication in our native tongue. If anyone is interested in learning more about the Vina Capital Foundation there is a website at www.vinacapitalfoundation.org

After our meeting it was already time for lunch. I had pho, which is soup, but it is much heartier than soup in the US. It comes with a plate of extra vegetables, herbs, and bean sprouts to throw in fresh. I had forgotten to bring my "cheater chopsticks" with me from the hotel, but I did very well eating soup with chopsticks--and I only wore a very little bit of my soup!

Next we went shopping for a silk jacket for Sandy, but struck out there. Then we popped into the Sheratin to check out Spa prices. We might just get a little pampering while we are here.

Then it was time for the after lunch nap, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I listened to someone singing music from the Phantom of the Opera on television as I fell asleep. He was a Vietbamese singer, but his English pronunciation was perfecto! It was lovely.

After our nap we went for a walk to see the sights and power shop. The people are very kind. They seem to realize that I am a bit out of my element. It is such an unusual experience to look out into a sea of faces and no one is like me. No one looks like me or sounds like me or can really know how different the rhythms of this City are compared to what I am accostomed to.

At one little shop the young woman who took care of my purchases spoke little English, but was able to convey to me that I should keep my purse zipped and in front of me and hang onto it tightly. She also showed me not to let my camera dangle from my wrist by its cord, but to keep it firmly in my hand. I was so moved by the care and concern she showed to someone she didn't know at all and would probably never see again. I felt like we touched hearts--it was nice to receive such kindness from a stranger. Lee

4 comments:

  1. Folks is folks! How nice you were able to connect like that with a stranger. I couldn't help but think how vulnerable our immigrant patients are. This experience will give you some real insight when you are caring for them at home. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll find out--back to nursing in the morning.

      Delete
  2. Very good post. Keep them up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you were with me as I traveled. It's good to be home.

      Delete